APA has more than 37,400 members involved in psychiatric practice, research, and academia representing the diversity of the patients for whom they care.
As the leading psychiatric organization in the world, APA now encompasses members practicing in more than 100 countries.
The American Psychiatric Association is an organization of psychiatrists working together to ensure humane care and effective treatment for all persons with mental illness, including substance use disorders. It is the voice and conscience of modern psychiatry. Its vision is a society that has available, accessible quality psychiatric diagnosis and treatment.
The mission of the American Psychiatric Association is to:
- promote the highest quality care for individuals with mental illness, including substance use disorders, and their families
- promote psychiatric education and research
- advance and represent the profession of psychiatry
- serve the professional needs of its membership
- Best standards of clinical practice
- Highest ethical standards of professional conduct
- Prevention, access, care and sensitivity for patients and compassion for their families
- Patient-focused treatment decisions
- Scientifically established principles of treatment
- Advocacy for patients
- Lifelong professional learning
- Collegial support
- Respect for diverse views and pluralism within the field and the association
- Respect for other health professionals
To promote the rights and best interests of patients and those actually or potentially making use of psychiatric services for mental illness, including substance use disorders.
- To improve access to and quality of psychiatric services.
- To improve research into all aspects of mental illness, including causes, prevention, and treatment of psychiatric disorders.
- To improve psychiatric education and training.
- To promote optimal conditions for practice and career satisfaction.
- To foster collaboration among all who are concerned with medical, psychological, socio-cultural and legal aspects of mental health and illness.
- To improve functioning of the APA in the service of its mission.